Keep Your Data Safe Online This Christmas
With Christmas just around the corner, the children off school, and most of us having some time off during the festive season, the time spent on social media, will no doubt increase.
Social media has fast become a favourite pastime for so many. It is another way of staying in touch with friends and family, whilst giving us an insight into what others are up to during the festive period. While this all sounds perfect, the truth is there are a few things we all need to be aware of.
We have put together a few useful tips to help keep you, your loved ones, and your personal information safe online.
- Update Privacy Settings: – Review and update your privacy settings on all your social media accounts. Ensure that your posts and personal information are only visible to the people you trust.
- Beware of Scams: – Be cautious of unsolicited messages, friend requests, or links. Scammers often use holiday-related themes to trick people. Do not click on suspicious links or share personal information.
- Password Security: – Use strong, unique passwords for your social media accounts. Consider using a password manager to generate and store complex passwords.
- Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): – Enable 2FA for all your social media accounts. This adds an extra layer of security by requiring a second form of verification, such as a text message or an authentication app.
- Verify Friend Requests and Messages; – Before accepting friend requests or clicking on links, verify the authenticity of the sender. Hackers often create fake profiles or impersonate someone you know.
- Limit Personal Information: – Avoid sharing sensitive personal information such as your home address, phone number, or financial details. Cybercriminals can use this information for fraudulent activities.
- Use Secure Wi-Fi: – When posting pictures or stories from public places, use a secure Wi-Fi network or consider using a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt your internet connection.
- Monitor Your Children’s Activities: – If your children use social media, monitor their accounts, and educate them about online safety. Ensure they are aware of the risks and know how to report any suspicious activity.
- Use Reputable Apps and Services: – Stick to well-known and reputable social media platforms. Be cautious about downloading third-party apps or clicking on links from unknown sources.
- Report Suspicious Activity: – If you encounter any suspicious or harmful content, report it to the social media platform and, if necessary, to the appropriate authorities.
Do The Deals Seem Too Good to Be True?
During the Christmas season, it’s not uncommon to come across various deals and promotions that may appear too good to be true. Retailers and online stores often offer discounts, special offers, and bundle deals to attract holiday shoppers. While many of these deals are genuine and can provide significant savings, there are also scams and fraudulent schemes that take advantage of the holiday shopping frenzy. Always check that you shop from a reputable source and check reviews and ratings from other customers. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Our Clients Are In Safe Hands
“Support when and where you need it”
Timeless IMS provide a proactive, managed IT Support line to our Tech:Friends
We offer this service as a Single Device package, a Duo (two devices), Family (up to 5 devices) and HomeWorker (for sole traders and micro businesses).
More information about Tech:Friend can be found here.
Contact us at email@example.com or call us on 0800 3282852.